Sunday, December 05, 2010

[ePalestine] FILM/ & ARTICLE: To See If I Am Smiling (A MUST VIEW/READ)

"...I served there because my parents brought me up on the values of Zionism, on the idea that wherever I'm most needed is where I should go. I wanted to make a difference and I'd do it again despite everything." 

Doc-Debut, a series on Link TV

To See If I Am Smiling 

Israel is the only country in the world where 18-year-old girls are drafted for compulsory military service. In the award-winning documentary To See If I Am Smiling, the frank testimonials of six female Israeli soldiers stationed in Gaza and the West Bank pack a powerful emotional punch. The young women revisit their tours of duty in the occupied territories with surprising honesty and strip bare stereotypes of gender differences in the military. The former soldiers share shocking moments of negligence, flippancy, immaturity and power-tripping as they describe atrocities they witnessed and participated in. 

The psychological transformation that these young women underwent as a result of military service is both upsetting and riveting. The culture of war transforms people: personalities change, moral codes are subverted, values are supplanted and masks are constructed to dull the pain of what they did and didn't do in uniform. 

The 60min film is at:
http://www.linktv.org/programs/to-see-if-i-am-smiling  (may only be viewable in the U.S.)

and the Ha'aretz article on the same is at:
Slightly long but well worth the read.

NO COMMENT,
Sam



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ePalestine Blog:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything about this list:

To unsubscribe, send mail to:
epalestine-unsubscribe@lists.riseup.net

To subscribe, send mail to:
epalestine-subscribe@lists.riseup.net